We are going to pinpoint the demographics, interests and environment where they most likely to view your film.
We are going to create a persona of your ideal audience, analyze their interests and then market to them.
You way ahead in film distribution with a built-in audience. Grow your fan base and you have a strong card in your hand to make deals.
If you say my film is for 'everybody' you have a very low chance of getting people to see your film.
Film Audience Research
What you need to do is look at your script and define the following:
- What is the age group that wants to see my film
- Are they male or female
- What hobbies do they have
- What makes them happy
- What organisations or FB groups do they sign up to
Who is going to watch your film?
Build a Persona, one perfect audience member that will buy a ticket, a true fan.
- Age group
- Social Networks
The Persona is your core audience, you find them online, join the discussion and win their trust.
Who is the Target Film Audience
The most essential part of a film is knowing who your audience is going to be and you need to market to them from day 1 of pre-production. Film marketing is connecting to the viewers that are going to take the time and spend money to see your film.
What is an In-Built Film Audience
Think about it, there are thousands of films on Netflix that you don't know about, that is because the filmmakers hope that the algorithm pushed them to front page. The reasons they are on the front page is:
- a heavy advertising budget
- major A-list stars are attached
- won top film festivals
- the key team (director, cast) has a huge following online
You need an in-built audience to drive viewers to watch your film
Engage with your Target Audience
You watch and listen to the concerns, questions and aspirations of your target audience.
- Graphics: Post images your audience will relate to
- Video: Post videos that are informative and entertaining
- Automated Social Network Posting
- Build the important Mailing List
- Drive traffic to your film page with Content Marketing
It takes time to engage, be honest and true fans will start to follow your social networks.
Grow your Social Value
Distributors, media and your fans will see if there is the community is engaged.
- Prove to Distributors you have an in-built audience
- Excite fans to become true fans to share your content
Your Social Value defines the deals you make with Distributors